The quickest way to spread a technology is to share it, so NHI was started as a conduit to share what is being learned about practical carbon neutral building systems through the research, design, and construction of our prototype.
NHI’s first job, then, has been to complete the prototype as designed, creating a functioning, open source, publicly accessible model of a modern carbon neutral urban living system. The building is complete and inhabited. Our next project phase includes landscape installation, performance monitoring, and renewable energy system procural. We are actively seeking grants, donations, and any other help offered toward these ends.
NHI is simultaneously seeking funding to continue research, development, and educational outreach toward the goal of spreading practical carbon neutral design and building solutions to the US construction industry at large. Toward this same end, we also offer the following design and consulting services:
(1) Carbon Neutrality Consulting. We are available to discuss strategies for upgrading projects of any size toward the benchmark of carbon neutrality.
(2) Passive House Consulting. By far the largest cog in the built environment carbon neutral machine is building envelope and systems efficiency. The best design tool for this purpose in our opinion is the Passive House Planning Package (PHPP), an energy modeling program associated with the Passive House Certification program, perhaps the most rigorous energy efficiency standard in the world. Two NHI principles, Jeff Buscher and Clarke Snell, are two of only three certified Passive House Consultants in North Carolina (at the time of this writing). NHI offers PHPP based energy modeling and performance consulting on projects of any size.
(3) "Green Building" Consulting. We stand ready to apply our expertise to any building project that is serious about energy efficiency, site-harvested and local materials, and/or creating a connection between building and land.
(3) Design and Design/Build. If a project seems pertinent to advancing our research goals, we are open to taking on a design or even design/build role.
(3) Talks and workshops. NHiI is a research, development, and educational organization, as such we are available to lecture and teach about carbon neutral building systems and related issues.
We want to have an impact which means getting our hands in as many pies as possible. Therefore, we've set our consulting rates well below the industry standard. If we're talking about a project, either on the phone or at a meeting, we charge $75/hr. If we are called upon to create reports for review by other professionals, our rate is $110/hr. Travel is usually billed at $50/hr.
For more information on the former NHI and the
work we do, contact Alembic Studio:firstname.lastname@example.org.